Friday, July 4, 2008

4th of July


Happy Independence Day!!!!! Lowell was reminding us that 12 years ago today we were landing in the London airport and being told "Happy July 4th" by an Englishman. Seemed a little strange to hear that from him. I guess he decided to let by gones be by gones.


This has been an unbelieveable week. On Monday my best friend, Sandra, found out that her cancer had returned in a BIG way. It's pretty much spread into her brain, liver, sinus cavity, and bones. She's undergoing 10 radiation treatments for pain. She's very weak and has lost so much weight in a short period of time that I want to cry when I look at her. Her son and daughter are here for a few days and I know they're trying hard to adjust to the news, just like we all are. Her husband, Joe, has been such a strong support through all of this and I'm concerned about what he'll do if the unthinkable happens. Gee, I can't even make myself think the words, "If she dies". We have been friends for many years and have been through good times and bad times together and I have difficulty thinking about life without her. Who will I complain about Lowell to? Who will I tell when my children disappoint me or make me happy? I told Lowell last night that I didn't have any other friends locally who are as close to me as she is. Is it too late for me to find another friend? Can you teach an old dog new tricks? Needless to say, this has been a sad week for me. I'm so glad that retirement will allow me to be with Sandra and give her all the support and help I can. Please pray for her, her family, and all of us who love her.
We celebrated today by having Mother, Vail, Joyce and Joe Garrison over for a meal. Everyone brought something and Lowell and I only had to provide the place to eat and cook the meat. Right now I am sooooo stuffed!!! I hope I can make it through the rest of the day without eating.....I always say that and then by 7:00 I'm opening the refrig.
Michael Neal and his friend Matthew are playing golf in Grenada and then will drive to Cleveland and eat steaks with Vail and Gmother tonight around 9:00 pm. Right now it's storming here and I hope they're having a nice day in Grenada. They'll be leaving to go back to Nashville after breakfast tomorrow, so it'll be a quick visit.
David and his family are at home with an additional child, Cooper, visiting for a few days. He's their nephew from Nashville and he's touring the south staying with various aunts . I believe he's Wilson's age. Wilson begins his all-star games next Wed. and Thur.
Lisa and family are in Paris, TX, with Kelley's parents. They go there every 4th of July and always have fun fishing and visiting. I wish we lived a little closer so we could get on their circuit, but Cleveland is 10 hours from Houston. They may spend Sat. night with David and then go home on Sun. Their vacational Bible school begins Mon night and they have to be home early to practice for the skits. Austin's been gone from home for 2 weeks......visiting with the Kirkbrides in Denison and then his Peace grandparents in Paris.
I hope you are enjoying a day off from your regular duties!!!

1 comment:

TexasNeals said...

we were so sad when we heard about Mrs. Sandra's news. we will definately be praying for them.
glad everyone else is doing well. :)